Saturday, July 18, 2015

JSU Bowler Marcela Sanchez to Represent El Salvador in Pan Am Games

JACKSON, Mississippi -- Jackson State University sophomore bowler Marcela Sánchez will represent El Salvador, her home country, in the 2015 Pan American Games. The Pan Am Games are the world’s third largest international multi-sport Games; they are only surpassed in size and scope by the Olympic Summer Games and the Asian Games. This year’s games are held in Toronto, Canada on July 10-26. The bowling portion will begin on July 22.


Sánchez sat down with JSUTIGERS.com to discuss the upcoming competition.

Q: How does it feel to be selected to represent your country in the Pan Am games?

A: It means the world to me. Being able to represent my country El Salvador in a tournament of this magnitude, puts a lot of responsibility on me. But it is a responsibility that I’m proud to take.

Q: When did you first find out that you had been selected?

A: I bowled the tryouts two months ago and after bowling 35 games on different lane conditions I placed second.

Q: What about this opportunity most excites you?

A: I'm excited about the event in general. This is a really big tournament where I'll (face) the top bowlers of all America, including bowlers who currently are participating in professional leagues. So besides taking this challenge, it is also an honor to be competing against all these people.

Q: How do you plan on representing Jackson State while competing?

A: Unfortunately I'm not allowed to use other (apparel) than the El Salvador's official uniform at a tournament of this magnitude and formality. Everything will resume when people ask me about the changes I've had since I have improved a lot in the last year thanks to the weekly practices and Coach Boykins.

Q: What does such an accomplishment mean to you and the rest of your JSU bowling family?

A: I have participated on international tournaments before but this is a very important one so it pushes me further on my bowling career. I have no doubt it will give me more experience and maturity which I expect to sow in the JSU bowling family in the future.

Q: What does bowling 300 game during practice before such an event do for your confidence?

A: The 300 game was completely unexpected but really satisfactory. I believe it is an achievment every bowler is constantly trying to reach. I don't want to be overconfident because I know that was just a game but I showed myself what I'm capable to do.

Q: What do you hope to accomplish during the Pan Am Games?

A: My main goal is to classify individually in the first 20 positions. I'm really looking forward to win a medal in doubles with my teammate. Even though it's a really tough competition I believe I have to set myself high goals in order to obtain the best results.

COURTESY JACKSON STATE UNIVERSITY ATHLETICS MEDIA RELATIONS

No comments: