Sunday, July 12, 2015

Bluefield State Blues Terry Brown Retiring as Athletic Director

BLUEFIELD, West Virginia -- Terry Brown, the Athletic Director of Bluefield State College is retiring. During his tenure at BSC, Brown has been the athletic director for 27 years and coached the Men's Basketball team for 22 years as well as tennis and golf.

Brown is a Bluefield State alumnus and former men's basketball player. He is a native of Coaldale Mountain and a member of the Bramwell High School Millionaires State Championship team of 1971. "I went to Concord College for one day. Once I got there I felt so out of place and uncomfortable, so I went home." Brown said. "I'm at home and the next day I get a phone call and later a visit from Tony Mandeville. He said 'I hear you've dropped out of school and we'd love to have you at Bluefield State.'

Brown played his freshman and sophomore years for Mandeville and his final two years for John Quintier. Following graduation he joined Quintier's coaching staff. In 1980 Brown was named head basketball coach, a position he held until 2002. In 1987, Brown succeeded Barry Blizzard as athletic director.

Thirty-one of the 43 years Brown spent at BSC he was affiliated with the men's basketball team as either a player or coach. His 1996 Big Blues squad won the WVIAC Tournament championship. He praised the many assistant coaches he had over the years, including Charlie Maynard, Jack Lawson, Chuck Lambert and Jeff Stone. Also key were game-day workers such as Mike Proffitt and Rick Baker. Terry Sarver has operated the clock at games for more than 35 years.

"I've had the opportunity to play around the world," Brown said. "I've coached in South America, Australia, and it's all because of my affiliation with Bluefield State."

"It was a fantastic run," Brown said. Over the years, athletics at Bluefield State has evolved from 3 sports teams when Brown was a student to 10 sports teams currently. "I've had a great experience dealing with faculty and staff over the years, " Brown said. "The administration that we currently have, it's really hard to leave them. They have been super supportive."

Brown has worked with 11 presidents, interim and permanent, during his years at Bluefield State. He praised the work and efforts of current BSC President, Dr. Marsha Krotseng.

Asked what he was going to miss most, Brown said, "I'm going to miss the kids." "It's going to be very difficult to adjust, I'm sure; my three children are grown and all of them are former Bluefield State students. I am now a grandpa, " Brown said. " I'm going to miss the people I have been in contact with over the years.

Brown's retirement is effective immediately, but he will remain in the position at the request of Dr. Krotseng during the transition phase to a new athletic director.

Information from Bob Redd at Bluefield Daily Telegraph and Terry Brown
COURTESY BLUEFIELD STATE COLLEGE SPORTS INFORMATION

No comments: