Saturday, April 4, 2015

Upset of Michigan State proves program-changing win for TSU

HOUSTON, Texas -- It didn't dawn on us how big it was to beat Michigan State until we were on the two-hour bus ride to Detroit to fly out the next day.

Everybody on the bus was getting text messages. I got over 500 of them. It was like "shock the world," but it really shocked college basketball that we won the game 71-64 in overtime Dec. 20 in East Lansing, Michigan.

I don't think anyone slept that night. I know I didn't, because we had to fly out of Detroit to Auburn, Ala., really early the next morning. It was like a cloud-nine deal.

It was a great program-changer for us. I think everyone who knows basketball knew that Texas Southern had beaten Michigan State, then ranked 25th in the Associated Press poll.

Heading into the game, we had just lost by 40 (94-54) to one of Mark Few's best Gonzaga teams ever. But I wasn't really concerned.



CONTINUE READING

No comments: