Wednesday, April 15, 2015

U-High Bates is Gold Nuggets' first 2015-16 signee



NEW ORLEANS — Mikayla Bates, a 5-foot-7 combo guard from University High School in Baton Rouge, La., is Xavier University of Louisiana's first women's basketball signee for 2015-16.
     

Bates signed her scholarship Wednesday at U-High. She averaged 11.2 points, 5.2 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 5.4 steals per game in 2014-15 and helped the Cubs repeat as Class 3A state champion. She was first-team all-district twice and her district's defensive player of the year in 2013-14.
     

"Mikayla is a natural leader and a great person," U-High coach Bonita Johnson said. "She'll bring energy to your team. She loves to play defense, which is rare in a player these days, and she can shoot the 3."
     

Bates played in the state all-star game and was academic all-state as a senior. She has a 3.97 grade-point average and will major in accounting at Xavier.
     

"I picked Xavier based on how I felt when I walked in the (Convocation Center)," Bates said. "I thought that's where I need to be. I like how they work hard. It's about business. I like the staff and how everybody is friendly. I know I can get a great education there and help Xavier win."
     

Bates' single-game highs include 26 points, 12 rebounds, 15 steals and five 3-pointers made.
     

"Mikayla Bates had a great workout with us when she visited Xavier," XU coach Bo Browder said. "She's a really talented young lady and a strong student who will contribute to our program and help us improve next season."
     

Xavier was 18-15 in 2014-15 and finished second in the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference regular season and tournament. The Gold Nuggets qualified for the NAIA Division I National Championship 18 of the past 21 seasons.


Ed Cassiere, Sports Information DirectorXULAgold.com
XAVIER UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA 
https://twitter.com/xulagold
https://www.facebook.com/

 

No comments: