Saturday, September 20, 2014

Alabama A&M cornerback Dexter Reese balances football with fatherhood

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- Alabama A&M cornerback Dexter Reese tackles all kinds of things every day. Opposing receivers. Homework. Customers. And diapers.

Yes, diapers. The redshirt freshman, Reese is the proud father of a son, Ayden, who turns 3 in November. Proud and challenged. "Let me tell you," he says, "it's difficult."

On a typical day, Reese, an accounting major, wakes early for practice or weight lifting, goes to class, then picks up Ayden from daycare for some father-son time. On Sunday through Tuesday, Reese works at Wendy's from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m. Ayden's mother, Dekaria Zachery, and Reese's brother, Courtland Gates, help with watching the youngster.

The trials of being a young dad are worth it to Reese. Ayden is his No. 1 motivation when he steps on the field.

"He's always on my mind when I go out there," Reese says. "There's something in my mind that makes me want to make him proud of me when he gets older. So he can say, 'My dad was actually good when he played.'"

CONTINUE READING 

No comments: