Thursday, August 7, 2014

Coaches Keep SSU Tigers Keyed On Being Focused This Season

SAVANNAH, Georgia  -- After the first week of camp, more than 90 players are on the field getting valuable instruction from the veteran Savannah State coaching staff.

There are five quarterbacks vying for the starting position this year. Quarterbacks coach David Banks took over the job of fine tuning that position this past March. It is his first season here at Savannah State University after being at Hampton University, the past two seasons.

Banks paid close attention to each quarterbacks foot settings, position of the ball in the players' hands prior to execution and their throwing motions. His main goal was to make sure they were focused and assertive in calls being made from the offensive coordinator from the sideline and how those plays were understood and executed.

New defensive coordinator Michael Wallace is in his second tour of duty with the Tigers. Last season he served as linebackers coach and special team's coordinator. He has been focused in on the defensive back core; which is made up of a very strong veteran group of players.

Defensive line coach Jonas Jackson feels as though the defensive line is developing quickly, even though they are learning entirely new defensive schemes. He feels both sides of the line (offensive and defense) are equal right now.

During the drills, head coach Earnest Wilson, III keeps an eagle's eye look over what is going on in each segment of the team. If 100 percent effort wasn't being applied in every situation, it was addressed immediately by him.

"Every play, even if we drop a pass or fumble a hand-off, must be done in full sprint," said Wilson. "We are in a conditioning phase and we (coaches) want everything done at full speed."

A new item was placed on the 50-yard line marker for all to see. It is a blue and orange painted gold firemen's bell. The significance of the item is simple. If you can't "cut the mustard" just ring the bell. It means you have quit the football team. So far, nobody has rung it.

The Tigers will practice in full gear all week with their first scrimmage to take place on August 9 at 8 a.m. at Ted Wright Stadium.

The Tigers open the season, August 30, in Murfreesboro, Tennessee at Johnny "Red" Floyd Stadium at 6 p.m. central time.

The team's first home is September 13 at 6 p.m. The opponent will be Fort Valley State University.


View Photo Practice Gallery from August 5, 2014 (Here)

Get to Know #47 Robert Smith
Question and answer session with newcomer defensive back Robert Smith who transferred to SSU after receiving his undergraduate degree from Georgia State.

Question: How do you define who you are?
Answer: "I feel that I have been an underdog my whole life. I was told that I was too small and too short to play Division I football. I know that hard work and being a good student has its own rewards. That is my definition of who I am and what I am about."
Smith added that he learned how to be the man of his house, because his mother was a single-parent.
"I was the first person in my family to get a college degree this past May. I wanted my sister, who is 18, to have a male role model in her life. I am proud of her also, as she just got a scholarship to attend Pepperdine University in Malibu, Calif.

Question: You seem to be athletically gifted, so what do you do mentally to get your mind and body on the same page?

Answer: "I prepare for games by stretching and relaxing so that I don't think about too much. I don't like to think too much during the game, because if I have done my homework, I typically know what is going to happen. I have to be able to play fast and react even faster."

Question: Most receivers are taller than you, how do you make a difference on defense?
Answer: "I try to neutralize my opponent by being a whole lot more physical on every play. If they catch the ball, I want them to know that they will be getting a hard hit along with that catch."

Question: You said this year's team is like an Army of One. What did you mean by that?
Answer: "Everyone is really trying to help each other out on offense and defense. I have four fingers and one thumb, but when I ball up my first they become strong."

Question: What goals have you set for yourself this year?
Answer: "My main goal is to help turn this program around. We have scholarship players, who are trying to get an education and I want to help them. I also want SSU to be successful in the MEAC. My coach at Georgia State University and Coach Wilson coached together in Indianapolis and he told me that I would enjoy playing for him. I love playing football and it only comes around one time."

Question: You stayed here this summer and you were one of the 40 who did that. What motivated you and the others to sacrifice yours summer?
Answer: "We have a common goal to stick together and to sacrifice whatever is necessary to turn things around down here."


COURTESY SAVANNAH STATE UNIVERSITY SPORTS INFORMATION

No comments: