Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Former HU's McCorory edges Richards-Ross for women's 400 title

SACRAMENTO, California — Francena McCorory had to wait for the replay to see the best race of her life. The U.S. women's 400-meter champion has a tendency to run with her eyes closed.
Not that it mattered much.
 
McCorory won Saturday in the Sanya Richards-Ross.
U.S. Outdoor Track and Field Championships, finishing in 49.48 seconds to edge Olympic champion
 
McCorory had her best career time and the fastest in the world this year. She did it despite running three-quarters of the race with her eyes closed, something the sprinter has done since she first took up running as a 12-year-old.
 
That McCorory somehow stays in her lane without bumping into other runners was just as impressive as her winning time.
 
"I know it's weird because I have to go around an oval and turn left, but I really don't feel anyone," McCorory said. "I've run so many 400s I can feel the track. At 300 yards, I was like, 'Yes, I'm almost home.' That's the only time I opened my eyes.
 

No comments: