Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Brewbaker Tech G Steven Rogers follows father's footsteps, commits to Alabama State

MONTGOMERY, Alabama -- Brewbaker Tech's Steven Rogers could have gone away to school. The 6-foot-1, 165-pound guard had scholarship offers from Savannah State, Clark-Atlanta and Arkansas-Monticello.

But instead, he chose to stay close to his family, literally, announcing his commitment to Alabama State, where his father is an assistant under head coach Lewis Jackson, today.



"I've always looked up to my dad and saw all the great things he did at Alabama State as a player and as a coach," said Rogers of his father, Steven Rogers, Sr. , a former two-time SWAC Player of the Year. "I'd like to play under him and coach Jackson and I think it's a good fit for me. I think I have a chance to be successful and that's really all it came down to."

The younger Rogers certainly had success as a senior, averaging 32.1 points per game, 4.9 rebounds and 2.8 assists while leading his team to an appearance in the AHSAA South Regional tournament in Dothan. He was a first-team selection to the Alabama Sports Writers Association all-state squad and is a ...

CONTINUE READING

No comments: